Tuesday, September 12, 2006

NFL Week 1

This year offers the biggest change for the TV viewer since FOX grabbed the NFC in 1993 and added the score box for out-of-town games that now includes updates for fantasy football players.

NBC - I like Cris Collinsworth and Sterling Sharpe. I think they'll offer some critical sarcastic humor to the highlight/pregame show before the Sunday Night Game. I'd like to see them do their show a little bit more like NFL PrimeTime and a little bit less like FOX's Terry Bradshaw.

ESPN - Get Ron Jaworksi into Joe Theismann's chair. NOW! He offered the first criticism of Raider WR Randy Moss that I've heard. On a play where the CB covering Moss left him to defend the ball, Moss held his arms up in disgust for not being thrown the ball depsite being open. Jaworksi correctly pointed out that Moss wasn't open until the CB reacted to the ball being thrown to somebody else! Jaws has done some great work using the NFL Films library for ESPN's studio and pre-game shows; I'm ready to listen to him do live games. I'm also inclined to think that Tony Kornheiser will work in the booth, he's very entertaining on PTI. I especially liked his line to getting Monday Night players on his fantasy team so that he'll maintain interest in the game he's being paid to broadcast! I miss Chris Berman and Tom Jackson doing NFL PrimeTime before the Sunday Night game, they did the highlights of a few games in the NFL Blitz segment that was woven into SportsCenter at 11 ET, but it wasn't as good as the old PrimeTime. ESPN has SuperBowl-like pregame show planned for every MNF game, they have some opportunity for PrimeTime highlights, but at a day old in today's information age, I don't know how entertaining it could be.

CBS - I didn't get to see any of their coverage.

FOX - Get Joe Buck off the air. I just don't find his attempts at humor marginally funny and when he does play-by-play he doesn't seem to recognize that he's at a football game instead of a baseball game.

ABC - I noticed that the Ohio St-Texas graphics had an ESPN-on-ABC logo to them; Interesting branding.

No comments: